April 03, 2025
QUETTA: The Balochistan government has defended its crackdown against the Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC) protests while citing prevailing security concerns in the province, The News reported on Thursday.
In a joint press conference, Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind and Quetta DIG Aitzaz Goraya while peaceful protests are a fundamental right, public safety and law and order must be maintained.
Recalling the Jaffar Express attack on March 11, Rind said that the BYC attempted to exhume bodies from a graveyard following burials the next day, triggering protests that disrupted Sariab Road and other areas for over 12 hours.
The spokesperson reiterated that while the government respects the right to protest, the location and manner of demonstrations must be determined by district authorities — something the BYC has consistently refused to acknowledge.
The government's stance comes against the backdrop of socio-political unrest following the arrest of BYC leaders, including Dr Mahrang Baloch. She is currently held at Quetta District Jail under Section 3 of the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) Ordinance for her alleged involvement in a violent attack on Civil Hospital and the forcible removal of attackers' bodies from the Jaffar Express train bombing.
The BYC leaders face multiple charges, including terrorism, murder, attempted murder, incitement to violence and rebellion, creating disorder, promoting racial hatred, and damaging property.
Meanwhile, Balochistan National Party-Mengal (BNP-M) is currently holding a sit-in at Lak Pass against the crackdown on BYC activists and has announced launching a long march towards Quetta — set to commence today — following the expiration of the deadline for the release of BYC leaders.
Expressing his views on the BNP-M protest, Rind confirmed that the long march from Wadh to Quetta had been restricted due to security concerns, and the party was invited to an in-camera session to discuss the law and order situation. He added that internet services were suspended due to security threats and that the authorities are investigating the Mastung attack, which, if successful, could have had severe consequences for Pakistan.
Addressing concerns about banning the BYC, Rind stated that he was unaware of any such decision, emphasising that the courts are available to provide legal relief where necessary. The government, he assured, remains open to dialogue but will not allow the destruction of public property in the name of protests.
Furthermore, criticising the BYC's approach during the presser, DIG Goraya detailed the events following the Jafar Express attack, revealing that five bodies were brought to the Civil Hospital on March 14.
When Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif visited Quetta on March 19, the BYC members arrived at the hospital to claim the bodies but were asked to call their legal heirs. Goraya questioned who could legally claim the bodies of members of the banned Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA).
Protesters, he said, attempted to forcibly remove the bodies, damaging hospital property in the process.
He further stated that the BYC’s so-called peaceful protest resulted in significant damage to public property, including the destruction of 36 CCTV cameras, 18 utility poles, the main gate of Balochistan University, and the burning of a post office. Additionally, an attempt was made to loot a bank.
In response, police were compelled to use tear gas. During the turmoil, the BYC placed three bodies on Sariab Road and alleged that police firing had killed them. Goraya dismissed the claim, questioning why random bystanders would be hit if the police had actually opened fire.
Families of the deceased reportedly sought the return of their loved ones' bodies and distanced themselves from the BYC, but protesters allegedly pressured them into continuing the demonstration. Some even surrounded the victims’ homes in an attempt to force their participation.
Goraya further stated that a total of 61 individuals were arrested under the MPO Act, with 13 placed under judicial remand. However, 35 minors detained during the protests were released after their parents provided assurances. He also highlighted that past BYC demonstrations led to the burning of 13 police vehicles and injuries to officers.